Arts & CultureEventsTheater

Preview: UO Russian Theater program’s play ‘Eugene Oregin’ is set to premiere tonight

Looking to add a little bit of culture to your weekend?

Check out Eugene Oregin – a university Russian Theater production, for a free evening of laughs and enthralling drama. There will be two showtimes: Saturday, March 5 at 7:30pm and Sunday, March 6 for a matinee show at 2:30pm in room 123 of Global Scholars Hall.

Students from the University of Oregon’s Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies have designed a satirical, modern, bilingual adaptation of Russian writer Alexander Pushkin’s original novel “Eugene Onegin.” The students have prepared for the play in their term-long course, “Russian Through Theater” –RUSS 309/609, while the course’s professor, Julia Nemirovskaya, will be directing the production.

To register for “Russian Through Theater,” Russian language skills are not required, though they would be beneficial. Students can expect to acquire knowledge of the language, study Russian literature and culture, and conclude the course by participating in a Russian play.

The inspiration for the production came after Nemirovskaya was asked by the Eugene Opera to lecture on Pushkin’s novel. She knew that the novel could be successfully translated to a Eugene audience through the means of a well-adapted play.

Come out this weekend to support fellow UO students, and the study and celebration of Russian literature.

To find out more about the UO’s Russian Theater program, visit its website here.

heghine04_rev

Alexa Chedid

Alexa Chedid

Alexa is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in journalism and cinema studies. She's from southern California and her passions include traveling, writing, and finding great coffee & teahouses.