GolfSports

Aaron Wise named Pac-12 men’s golfer of the month

The accolades continue to pour in for Oregon men’s golf sophomore Aaron Wise.

Wise was named Pac-12 men’s golfer of the month for February, in which he shot an average round score of 69.67. The Lake Elsinore, California native took home first place honors at the Amer Ari Invitational on Feb. 6, highlighted by a career-low eight-under 64 in the final round of the tournament.

19 tournaments into his collegiate career, Wise has already medaled four times, putting him in a tie with Daniel Miernicki for most in team history.

The monthly award comes just weeks after Wise became one of 25 golfers named to the Ben Hogan Award watch list, given annually to the top NCAA men’s golfer.

Wise was also named Pac-12 men’s golfer of the month in September. Stanford junior Maverick McNealy, who won the 2015 Pac-12 player of the year award, claimed the monthly recognition for October and November.

In addition to his sophomore campaign, Wise is currently ranked the No. 6 amateur golfer in the world. His win at Australian Master of the Amateurs at Royal Melbourne Golf Club in January came six months after winning the Pacific Coast Amateur at the Eugene Country Club in July against the likes of McNealy and other top-ranked amateurs.

The Ducks return to competition next week at the Southern Highlands Collegiate in Las Vegas, Nevada. The three-round tournament runs from March. 7-9.

Follow Will Denner on Twitter @Will_Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner is a senior journalism major at the University of Oregon. He covers football and men's golf for the Emerald. Email Will at [email protected] with tips, questions and comments.