GolfSports

Oregon places fourth at Southwestern Jones Invitational

Led by Zach Foushee and Edwin Yi, Oregon men’s golf finished in fourth place (+5) at the Southwestern Invitational in Thousand Oaks, California on Tuesday.

Foushee was the most consistent golfer for the Ducks in the two-day, three-round tournament. The senior shot one-over in each of the first two rounds on Monday and finished Tuesday’s third and final round one-under.

Yi, playing in Oregon’s lineup for the third time as a freshman, fired a career-low three-under 69 in the second round, and reached as high as sixth place in the individual leaderboard. Yi regressed on Tuesday, however, ending the tournament with a five-over third round scorecard.

Aaron Wise, currently ranked No. 7 by Golfweek, shook off a second round five-over scorecard to finish strong on Tuesday. Wise shot four-under in the third round, including eagles on the par-5 12th and 15th holes.

Brandon McIver (+6) and Sulman Raza (+11) also competed in Oregon’s lineup, while redshirt sophomore transfer Andrew Bonner (+13) played as an individual.

Oregon distanced itself from much of the field, finishing 11 strokes ahead of fifth-place Sam Houston State. But they never had a realistic chance of winning it all. USC (-26) dominated the tournament from the onset, going on to finish 20 strokes ahead of second-place Pepperdine (-6) and 25 ahead of third-place San Diego State (-1). USC’s Andrew Levitt (-8) and Jonah Texeira (-7) placed first and second respectively.

The Ducks have a relatively quick turnaround, as they travel to Las Vegas next week for the SH College Masters on March 7-9.

Follow Will Denner on Twitter @Will_Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner is a senior journalism major at the University of Oregon. He covers football and men's golf for the Emerald. Email Will at [email protected] with tips, questions and comments.