Arts & CultureVideo Games

Gaming Week In Review: Street Fighter V busted, Fallout 4 bursting

Street Fighter V Is Making Players Fighting Mad

After a prolonged beta period fraught with server issues, Capcom’s latest entry in the iconic Street Fighter franchise launched on Tuesday. Critics gave the game generally high scores for its visually stunning action and deep combat mechanics. However, the homecoming has been met with a less-than-stunning reception by fans who worry the game is both too light and too unreliable.

Concerns with Street Fighter V stem from a multitude of issues. To start, the game is lacking some of the fundamental features that players have come to expect from the franchise. There’s almost no story mode or even traditional arcade mode to speak of. Players are essentially just left with online bouts and a practice arena that leaves a lot to be desired. Combined with the roster of only 16 characters (compared to the 44 that were present by the time Street Fighter IV bowed its head), this represents a pretty significant downgrade for fans of the series.

Of course, all of this is largely irrelevant when the core features don’t function properly. Street Fighter V was designed as an online game, utilizing a connection to a central server to dole out “Fight Money” (the currency used to buy new costumes and characters). Additionally, online match connectivity has been unreliable.

Rocky launch periods for online games are nothing new. Capcom has also outlined a timeline for when the missing features will be updated into the game. But it doesn’t change the fact that they’re currently charging full price for what many players consider an incomplete product. While it seems likely that Capcom will turn Street Fighter V into a great game with time, the rocky launch may have already done damage to the brand as a whole.

Fallout 4 is expanding into the Far Harbor

Fallout 4  has been out for a few months, and avid wastelanders may have already picked through all of the quests, secrets, and settlements in need of help across Boston. Fortunately, Fallout fans will soon have more to do across the radioactive plains, with Bethesda announcing the first round of downloadable content hitting the game over the next few months.

March will bring Automatron ($9.99), which brings “a horde of robots into the Commonwealth, including the devious Robobrain.” These new enemies can be harvested to build new robotic companions. The following month will bring more customization with the Wasteland Workshop ($4.99). This adds cages for “live creatures,” which can be captured and brought back to your settlements. If you ever felt that Fallout 4 severely lacked a Pokemon-esque collection of animal slaves, it’ll be the best five bucks you’ll ever spend.

The biggest update will come in May with Far Harbor ($24.99). The first major story addition, this will have you teaming up with everyone’s favorite robotic noir detective Nick Valentine. Taking place in a new landmass off the coast of Maine, Far Harbor should be filled with faction quests aplenty.

In addition to all this, Bethesda has also promised additional downloadable content continuing later into 2016. It represents an “expanded DLC plan” that will all be covered by the $30 season pass. But act quick. On March 1st, Bethesda will be raising the price of the Season Pass to $50 to represent the wider array of content.

Follow Chris Berg on Twitter, @ChrisBerg25

Chris Berg

Chris Berg