LacrosseSports

Oregon snags season opening win over Michigan

Oregon lacrosse was able to start 2016 on the right foot as they topped Michigan in Ann Arbor 12-11 Friday night at Oosterbaan Field House.

Senior Holly Johnson, who tied her career-high in goals with four, led the Ducks.

Carly O’Connell, Bella Pyne and Cambi Cukar also played key roles: each added two goals and one assist.

The win marks the third consecutive season opening win for Oregon (1-0).

The Ducks took the first goal as Pyne found the back of the net a minute-and-a-half into the game. Things devolved quickly as the Wolverines came surging back to take the 5-2 lead after converting two free position shots.

Pyne scored again at the 10:28 mark and freshman Shannon Williams found her first goal as a Duck to put the team back within one.

Both squads continued to battle, with Michigan enjoying a 9-7 lead heading into halftime. Each team finished the game with 22 shots.

In the second half, Oregon solidified on defense, preventing the easy goals that plagued the team in the first. Jenna Morris played all 60 minutes in goal and saved six shots, earning her first win of the season. Morris also collected three groundballs.

The Wolverines made a late push in the final five minutes by scoring two goals, but Oregon was able to hold on for the win.

With her assist Cukar moved into the top 10 in program history, tying Jana Drummond. Morris is now seventh on the all-time program list for saves.

Next on the schedule for Oregon is a match against Detroit Mercy on Sunday. The start is scheduled for 9 a.m.

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur

Christopher Keizur

Christopher Keizur

Christopher is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald. His work has been published by the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, KVAL and Lane Today. He is a Tabletop games aficionado and amateur ghost hunter.