News

Ron Peterson, longtime supporter of UO, dies at age 88

Ron Peterson, the namesake of Peterson Hall in the Lillis Business Complex and Peterson Plaza at Autzen Stadium, died Sunday, Feb. 14 at the age of 88.

Peterson was a longtime supporter of the University of Oregon. In 2002, he and his wife, Patricia, made the second largest donation to the university, supporting the Lundquist College of Business, Presidential scholarships and athletics. In total, the Peterson family donated more than of $25 million to the university.

Peterson also received several prestigious awards from the university, such as the Presidential Medal in 2004 and the Pioneer Award in 2011.

“We are deeply saddened by Ron’s passing,” Jim Terborg, interim dean of the Lundquist College of Business, told Around the O. “Ron was a self-made man and a business leader. He gave so much to the college so that students for generations to come would have great opportunities. We will miss him.”

Miles Trinidad

Miles Trinidad

Miles Trinidad is an Opinion Columnist for the Emerald focusing on politics, social policy and economics. Prior to joining the Opinion Desk, Trinidad was a reporter and covered student groups and ASUO for the Emerald from 2015-2016 and contributed to Flux Magazine in 2017.

Trinidad has worked in political campaigns, non-profit political advocacy, and a legislative and communication role for a U.S. senator.

Trinidad is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in political science, economics, and journalism.