Three easy Valentine’s Day dessert recipes
Need a few last minute Valentine’s Day treat ideas? Here are a few recipes that are easy to make and colorfully represent the February holiday.
Strawberry Cake (Serves 2 with ingredients left over)
4 slices of pound cake
1 pint of heavy whipping cream
Sugar to taste (1 ½ tablespoons recommended)
1 cup of strawberries
1 cup of strawberry jam
- Whip the whipping cream using a beater. This should take about 6 minutes. When the whipped cream forms lines that trickle out of the center, you’re about done and should mix the cream for about 30 seconds or so to make sure it’s not still liquid.
- Add the sugar, then mix in.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters, throwing away tops.
- Pour the jam and strawberries in a pot and cook on medium low, stirring the strawberries into the jam until the mixture becomes warm.
- Place 1 pound cake slice on a plate, then pour a few tablespoons of the strawberry mixture onto the cake. Place the another slice on top of it, then cover the dessert with whipped cream.
- Repeat on another plate with the remaining 2 pieces of pound cake and enjoy!
Valentine’s Day Sundae (Serves 2 with ingredients left over)
1 box of brownie mix (also the ingredients specified on the brownie box, likely vegetable oil, water, and egg(s))
2 teaspoons of chocolate sprinkles
1 scoop of strawberry ice cream
1 scoop of vanilla ice cream
a drizzle of strawberry sauce
a sprinkle of powdered sugar
- Use a medium-sized cake pan to bake the brownie mix, following the recipe on the box for ingredients and directions based on pan size.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter or a knife, cut out a few very large heart shapes from the brownies.
- Drizzle strawberry sauce and sprinkle powdered sugar across a plate.
- Place a large brownie on top of the plate, then place the ice cream scoops next to the brownie.
- Cover the ice cream in sprinkles and enjoy!
Red Velvet Cupcakes (Serves 8-10 people)
¼ cup butter
½ cup sugar
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of red food coloring
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 345 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and food coloring, and beat together.
- Slowly add the milk, baking soda, and vinegar and beat together.
- Stir the flour, salt, and cocoa powder together in a bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients using a mixer.
- Butter cupcake pan(s) before filling them about halfway with the mixture.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, cover with cream cheese frosting, then cover in sprinkles. Enjoy!
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.