CityNews

Number of seats on daily flights from EUG-SFO to increase

United Airlines will upgrade it plane sizes but also cut the frequency of daily flights between Eugene to San Francisco starting this June, The Register-Guard reported.

On June 9, the airline will cut six daily flights down to four. Three out of four daily flights will take place on Airbus A319 and Airbus A320 passenger jets, which have 124 and 150 seats respectively, airport director Tim Doll said in the report. Currently, the airline flies 50- and 70-seat Bombardier jets.

United is the only of five airlines at the airport to offer nonstop flights to San Francisco. In all, 31 percent more seats will be added to daily United flights from Eugene to San Francisco.

The larger jets will provide more comfortable seats and carry bigger luggages, Doll said. This could benefit athletic teams and athletes that travel by air on this route.

The change is due to a shortage in regional jet pilots, Doll said.

The new schedule will offer two morning and two afternoon flights from Eugene and San Francisco.

According to an October 2015 report by the University of Oregon Office of the Registrar, almost 21 percent of UO students originate from California, many of which are from the San Francisco Bay Area.

From Nov. 2014-Oct. 2015, over 107,000 passengers flew from Eugene to San Francisco, making it the top destination for those leaving Eugene, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Tran Nguyen

Tran Nguyen

Crime and Court senior reporter, specializing in sorting through non-interactive spreadsheet. Formerly reporting on ASUO, Housing and Construction.

Send tips to [email protected] Follow me on Twitter @tranngngn. K thanks bye.