AcademicsNews

UO law school dean will step down July 1

UO School of Law Dean Michael Moffitt has decided to resign as dean effective July 1, 2017.

According to Moffitt’s message to the law school community, he decided to step down “after considerable soul-searching” and concluded that “the time is right” to find new leadership.

“It has been my great honor to serve as Dean … I am proud of many of the things we have accomplished over the last five years,” Moffitt wrote. “There is still much to do, but it is clear to me that we are headed in the right direction.”

According to Provost Scott Coltrane’s memo, Moffitt will return to his faculty role which he has held since joining the law school in 2001.

“His leadership of the law school will be truly missed. While this is a tremendous loss to the university, his decision to continue his faculty role will ultimately benefit our law school students and the discipline of law,” Coltrane wrote.

Moffit became dean in 2011.

Miles Trinidad

Miles Trinidad

Miles Trinidad is an Opinion Columnist for the Emerald focusing on politics, social policy and economics. Prior to joining the Opinion Desk, Trinidad was a reporter and covered student groups and ASUO for the Emerald from 2015-2016 and contributed to Flux Magazine in 2017.

Trinidad has worked in political campaigns, non-profit political advocacy, and a legislative and communication role for a U.S. senator.

Trinidad is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in political science, economics, and journalism.