ColumnsOpinion

Bonnie: Porn should be fun for women, too

Let’s talk about porn. The porn industry is huge, and because it is so easy to access nowadays, more and more people are watching pornographic videos. The industry is controversial to say the least. Ever since the 1950s, there has been an intra-feminism debate over porn. Some feminists view porn as liberating. Other feminists see it as an industry that is built on the degradation of women.

There have been many porn stars who have spoken out against the porn industry and the abusive behavior they were forced to go through. For example, Jenna Jameson was the most famous and successful porn star. Now she is one of the biggest anti-porn advocates. In her book How to Make Love Like a Porn Star: A Cautionary Tale, Jameson gives personal accounts of the abuse, physical and emotional pain she endured, drug use and the people who constantly took advantage of her in the porn industry.

In her autobiography Jameson writes, “Most girls get their first experience in gonzo films – in which they’re taken to a crappy studio apartment in Mission Hills and penetrated in every hole possible by some abusive asshole who thinks her name is Bitch.”

Jameson is not the only porn star that has spoken out against the porn industry. There have been many other stars that have reported on the drug and alcohol addictions, abuse and the STIs that are prevalent in the industry.

Right now, porn caters primarily to men. Even the camera is from the man’s point of view much of the time. This could contribute to why so much violence and commodification is directed towards women. Too many times in porn is a woman called a “bitch,” a “whore” or a “slut.” It is like pornographers want their audience to think that this behavior is okay.

Now, I’m not saying we should get rid of porn. A lot of people would be pissed if we got rid of porn. Plus, it would never work. It would be like the abolition of alcohol all over again. People would find ways to get it. Besides, porn could potentially be liberating to women and teach us to embrace our bodies and our sexuality.

Porn has the potential to show the world a sexy powerful woman instead of what it shows now: a submissive object ready to be used and disposed of. I saw a video of a young porn star dancing sexily with a hula hoop, and while there was no actual sex involved, that video was sexier and more empowering than any of the videos depicting women as just something for male porn stars to play with.

But the majority of porn now is demoralizing to women and in no way liberating. Porn commodifies women, making them seem like objects ready for the taking. And with so many videos depicting violence and rape, the porn industry is practically condoning sexual assault and sexual harassment. That part of porn needs to stop.

I understand that people, including women, have their kinks, and some kinks can be rather violent or demoralizing (i.e BDSM). It’s great that people can explore these kinks without judgment. Feeling comfortable with sexual preferences and kinks is always a good thing because people should be able to embrace their sexuality. These scenes could appeal to a women as well because, guess what? Women like sex too.

So I’m conflicted about porn. I want videos that depict women in powerful, sexy ways. I want the sex depicted in the videos to be consensual. I want the men that work in porn to not be creepy, demanding and disrespectful to their female porn stars like the way Jameson depicts them to be.

Porn has the potential to make women feel good about themselves and their bodies. So really what I want is female friendly porn. Porn that doesn’t make me feel horrified because of the way the woman is treated. I’m not anti-porn, I’m just against the mistreatment of women. Porn should be fun for us too.

Hannah Bonnie

Hannah Bonnie