Club SportsSports

Oregon men’s club soccer wins NIRSA National Championship

The Oregon men’s club soccer team completed a near perfect season with a win at the NIRSA National Championship in Phoenix, Arizona on Nov. 21.

The Ducks defeated UC Davis in the championship match thanks to a game-winning golden goal in overtime by forward Andrew Saenz.

They trailed 2-1 late in the match before forward Henry Fassinger buried a penalty kick to send the match to overtime. Senior defender Zach Donner netted the Ducks’ first goal to get them on the board in the first half.

Saenz scored a team-high 10 goals during the tournament, recorded a hat-trick in two different matches, and was named tournament MVP. Saenz, Donner and Fassinger were all named to the all-tournament team.

Oregon defeated the University of Texas B team (2-0), Colorado State University Pueblo (4-0), and University of Connecticut (3-1) in the group stage and outscored its opponents 9-1 in that span.

The Ducks then ousted Stony Brook in the quarterfinal thanks to goals by Saenz and forward Ian Malony and the following day, Saenz bagged a hat-trick and Malony added another goal as the Ducks defeated Utah Valley University in the semifinal.

This season will end as one of the most successful in team history.

Jarrid Denney

Jarrid Denney

Jarrid Denney is an associate sports editor and senior reporter at the Daily Emerald. He primarily covers the Oregon football and baseball beats. Follow along for Twitter updates @jarrid_denney.