Cross CountrySportsTrack & Field

Oregon track and field welcomes 13 new athletes to the program

The Oregon track and field program will be welcoming 13 new members after signing them Thursday afternoon during the 2015 National Signing Week.

The group of newcomers has combined for 38 State Championships and six National Championships. The athletes come from nine different states and Australia.

Some of the highlights include:

-Alexis Rigmaiden, from Louisiana is a two-time State Champion in the javelin and was ranked in the top 10 last year.

-Jackson Mestler is a local distance runner from Eugene. He is a two-time State Champion in the 1,500 and 3,000. He also placed in the top 10 at the Oregon State Cross Country Championships all four years of high school.

-Maddie Rabing, a thrower from Lake Oswego, is a three-time State Champion and was named Oregon’s Track and Field Athlete of the Year in 2015. She is in the top 10 in the Nation in shot put and went through the 2015 calendar year undefeated.

-Lilli Burdon comes to the Ducks from Queensland, Australia. A distance runner, she was a finalist at the World Youth Championships and was a New Zealand U18 Champion.

-Levi Thomet is a distance runner from Kodiak, Alaska. He is one of the most decorated signees: 10-time State Champion and six-time Alaska Athlete of the Year. At the indoor two mile last year Thomet placed No. 7 all-time for high school runners.

-Rhesa Foster, who competes in the jumps and hurdles, comes to Eugene from Clovis, California. She won a Youth Olympics Bronze Medal and was an AAU Jr. Olympic Champion.

Follow Christopher Keizur on Twitter @chriskeizur

Christopher Keizur

Christopher Keizur

Christopher is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald. His work has been published by the Moscow-Pullman Daily News, KVAL and Lane Today. He is a Tabletop games aficionado and amateur ghost hunter.