CrimeFraternity & Sorority LifeNews

UO student charged with second-degree intimidation after incident outside AEPi

Eugene police have charged a University of Oregon undergraduate student for second-degree intimidation after allegedly using anti-Semitic language towards a man outside of Jewish fraternity, Alpha Epsilon Pi.

The incident happened around midnight on Oct. 30.

The 20-year old victim told police that he was walking a woman home when he encountered the later identified suspect, Damien Leon Ramirez, 23, sitting on the bed of his pick-up truck parked by the fraternity.

The victim said that he told Ramirez to get out of his truck.  Ramirez allegedly responded by using anti-Semitic statements and kicked the side of the victim’s vehicle as he got out of it.

The victim also reported that Ramirez then talked about getting a firearm as he disappeared into his residence and when he re-emerged, he was carrying something in his hand.  However the victim was unable to identify what the object was.

On Nov. 5, police arrived at Ramirez’s residence, where he was charged for second-degree intimidation.

According to the Register-Guard,  UO Vice-President for Student Life, Robin Holmes, responded to the incident saying that Ramirez may be charged for a violation of student conduct.  According to his Facebook page, he works for the EMU Scheduling and Event Services as an Audio/Lighting technician.

It was also reported that UO President Schill has reached out to Alpha Epsilon Pi in support of the fraternity.  International Fraternity spokesman of AEPi, Jonathan Pierce, said that Schill sent an email to the UO chapter president, Matt London, and is scheduling a meeting with members of the fraternity.

Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Former Japan Times intern. Daily Emerald reporter and FishDuck editor. Tokyo-Singapore-Houston-Eugene, but Oregonian forever. West Ham United and Portland Timbers fan.

If you got a tip for me on an issue you feel I should be covering, don't hesitate to leave me an email ([email protected]).