GolfSports

Oregon golf wraps up fall season with sixth place finish at the Gifford Collegiate

The Oregon men’s golf team was unable to end its fall season on a high note, finishing sixth out of 15 teams at the Gifford Collegiate Championship in San Diego, California.

The No. 29 Ducks reached as high as third place early in the tournament, but regressed in the final two rounds.

Sulman Raza’s four-under second round on Tuesday was the best round for the team on the tournament. The redshirt junior birdied five holes on the round, including back-to-back birdies on the 12th and 13th hole. Raza combined to finish three-over for the tournament, good enough for 12th place.

Sophomore Aaron Wise, currently ranked No. 16 overall in the NCAA, finished just ahead of Raza in 11th. Junior Thomas Lim shot a three-under in round one, but like the rest of the team, declined as the tournament went on.

Stanford’s Maverick McNealy, the No. 1 ranked NCAA men’s golfer, took home top honors with a combined four-under scorecard across three rounds. The unranked Washington team won the tournament, shooting a combined six-under.

Oregon also got a good look at both of its true freshmen. Edwin Yi, who replaced senior Brandon McIver in the playing lineup, finished a combined +11, tied with senior Zach Foushee in 45th place. Sam Foust played the tournament as an individual. His second round even-par scorecard was his best of the tournament.

Fall season is now a wrap for the Ducks. The three month layoff comes at a much needed time, as Oregon looks to rebound from a 10th place finish at the Nike Intercollegiate and its most recent finish at the Gifford Collegiate. Oregon’s spring schedule commences with the Amer Ari Invitational, beginning Feb. 4 in Waikoloa, Hawaii.

Follow Will Denner on Twitter @Will_Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner is a senior journalism major at the University of Oregon. He covers football and men's golf for the Emerald. Email Will at [email protected] with tips, questions and comments.