CrimeNews

Former UO basketball player Brandon Austin files $7.5 million lawsuit against university

Brandon Austin, a former basketball player for the University of Oregon, filed a $7.5 million lawsuit against the UO, previous university President Michael R. Gottfredson, Director of Student Conduct & Community Standards Sandy Weintraub, Assistant Dean of Students Chicora Martin and Vice President of Student Life Robin Holmes, according to the Oregonian.

The filed lawsuit claims Austin was unjustly suspended in June 2014. In the suit Austin claims professional and personal harm, emotional hardship, future income depletion and a reduced chance of getting to play for the National Basketball Association.

UO dismissed Austin, as well as former teammates Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson, after they had a sexual assault allegation filed against them in spring 2014. The university prohibited the three from returning to campus for at least four years.

The university responded to Austin’s suit on Friday.

“It is unfortunate the Mr. Austin has decided to pursue this type of lawsuit, and we intend to vigorously defend the university,” Tobin Klinger, a university spokesperson told the Associated Press. “We’re confident Mr. Austin was afforded fair and consistent due process that fully complied with the university’s legal obligations. We cannot provide further comment because this is pending litigation.”

The full lawsuit can be viewed here.

Olivia Decklar

Olivia Decklar

Olivia Decklar is a videographer for the Daily Emerald. You can catch her listening to Hamilton the Musical at full volume any day of the week.