News

Bicyclist crashes headfirst into car on University Street, shatters back window

On Monday evening, Ryan Bath was reversing out of a one-way circle in front of Hendricks Hall on University Street when a woman on her bicycle rode straight into his back window. The woman, who he could only identify as “Grace,” was still standing upright on her bicycle after the collision.

According to University of Oregon Police Department Sergeant Scott Clark, who was at the scene of the accident, the bicyclist was greeting a friend just moments before the crash. She was not wearing a helmet.

“As soon as she said ‘hi’ to her friend, everyone heard a ‘boom.”

The rear window of Bath’s black Volkswagen had been completely shattered.

Immediately following the collision, Bath and a friend of the bicyclist helped her onto the sidewalk and called 9-1-1. Fearing a serious head injury, the two kept the bicyclist— whom Bath could only identify as “Grace” — immobile until an ambulance arrived.

With his car still in the same place — slightly jutted out onto University Street — Bath said he’s been keeping in touch with a friend of bicyclist about her condition.

“I’m just trying to make sure she’s okay,” he said.

Follow Dahlia Bazzaz on Twitter: @dahliabazzaz. 

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia is the 2015-2016 Editor in Chief of the Emerald. Before becoming EIC, she worked as a crime reporter and columnist. She has also interned with Oregon Public Broadcasting.

When she's not in the Emerald newsroom, she enjoys listening to podcasts and figuring out ways to meet Amy Poehler.

You can contact Dahlia via email: [email protected]