NewsPolitics

Merkley and Wyden visit UO to talk about college affordability

Oregon Senators Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden came to the University of Oregon campus to discuss legislation on college affordability this Monday, Oct. 12.

Merkley and Wyden, who are both sponsoring the legislation, talked to students and faculty about the high cost of a college education, student debt and steps to freeze tuition.

The event was held on first floor of the Knight Library at 10 a.m.

The Senators discussed several bills that would help students pay for college tuition. One of the potential bills offers schools incentives to freeze tuition. Another takes student loans and restructures them accordingly.

Lane County Community College Student President Ashley Jackson was present at the meeting and asked the Senators if any of the potential bills could cover costs other than tuition, such as child care and aid part time students.

Ideas gathered from student questions and answers will be used to further develop these bills that are to be proposed in Washington D.C.

Tran Nguyen

Tran Nguyen

Crime and Court senior reporter, specializing in sorting through non-interactive spreadsheet. Formerly reporting on ASUO, Housing and Construction.

Send tips to [email protected] Follow me on Twitter @tranngngn. K thanks bye.