Back to the BooksNewsSpecial Sections

Back to the Books: Guide to campus buildings and locations

Lokey Science Complex

Spread out over 10 buildings, The Lokey Science Complex is a major research hub at the university. Labs that use sensitive equipment, like nanotechnology and MRI machines, are located under a courtyard to minimize vibrations.

Miller Theater Complex

Home to the Robinson and Hope Theaters, the Miller Theater Complex shows most of the university’s drama productions. The complex will be hosting five productions this year.

Deady Hall

Opened in 1876, Deady was the entire university for almost ten years. In 1977 the building was designated a National Historic Landmark. The view from the top floor bathrooms is breathtaking.

Erb Memorial Union

The EMU is the center of campus, housing the Career Center, Counseling and Testing Center, the Mills International Center and much more. Currently under construction, the building is estimated to be finished in 2016.

Knight Library

The largest library in Oregon, Knight Library, has over three million books, collections of sound recordings, government documents and microfilm of every major newspaper published since the turn of the century. The library is open 24 hours, seven days a week during dead week.

Beall Concert Hall

Located in the music building, the Beall Concert Hall has regular musical performances. The University Orchestra, jazz classes, and senior recitals give plenty of opportunities to see live music.

Rec Center

The PE and Recreation Center is free for all UO students and provides virtually all types of workout facilities, including weights, racquetball courts, a rock wall and much more. A $50 million renovation last year added an aquatic center, a three court gym, and a vastly expanded fitness space.

Hayward Field

The center of “Tracktown USA,” historic Hayward Field hosts all of Oregon’s Track and Field events. The Olympic Track and Field Trials will be held at Hayward for the third consecutive time in 2016.

Matthew Knight Arena

The recently constructed Matthew Knight Arena hosts the Men’s and Women’s basketball teams, as well as women’s volleyball. The arena was built with a large donation from Nike founder Phil Knight, and is named after his late son.

Uly’s Taco Shack

Arguably some of the best late-night food in Eugene. Serving tacos from 10 p.m. until 3 a.m. Thursday through Saturday, Uly’s is great fuel for a long walk home. 

Museum of Natural and Cultural History

The museum houses hundreds of thousands of specimens, including the world’s oldest shoes. With a focus on the Pacific Northwest, the museum has any information you’d need about the history of Oregon.

Schnitzer Museum

The art museum on campus has a diverse collection of art from around the world. Exhibits cycle through regularly, with the work of major international artists appearing frequently.

Eugene Pioneer Cemetery

Established in 1872, the cemetery is even older than the university. Despite having around 5,000 graves, the cemetery is a surprisingly serene place to relax during the day. Just don’t go past sundown.

Lillis Business Complex

Business majors will spend a lot of time in Lillis. The building was designed to be environmentally sustainable. Solar panels, advanced ventilation systems and low-flow bathroom fixtures are some of the reasons the building exceeds state energy code requirements by more than 40 percent.

Oregon Hall

Oregon Hall is an important building for all your administrative needs. The Office of Admissions, Financial Aid and the Accessible Education Center are just some of the departments in the building. It’s also where student workers pick up their checks.

Health and Counseling Center

The health center offers drop in appointments for all your health needs. They have a pharmacy, dental clinic massage, acupuncture programs and even an X-ray facility.

**Editor’s note: This story first appeared in the Emerald’s “Back to the Books” edition, which is currently available in locations throughout Eugene.**

Follow Noah McGraw on Twitter: @McNoahMcGraw

Noah McGraw

Noah McGraw

Noah is the 2016-17 Senior News Editor at the Emerald. His earliest journalistic influences were Tom Wolfe, Eric Schlosser and Batman. He loves '70s comics, '80s action movies and '90s music.