GolfSports

Oregon men’s golf ties for first at Husky Invitational

For the second straight year, Oregon men’s golf opened its season with a first place tie in the Husky Invitational.

This time, playing at the par-71 Tumble Creek Golf Course in Cle Elum, Washington, the Ducks saw their one-stroke lead disappear in the waning moments of the tournament.

Washington’s Frank Garber birdied on the par-four 18th hole, which moved the Huskies into a tie for first with the Ducks. Both teams shot a combined 16-over for three rounds, and both finished Tuesday’s third and final round two-under par.

Aaron Wise led the way for the Ducks, shooting a combined four-under for the tournament.  Individually, he finished the Husky Invitational in sole possession of third place, trailing only USC’s Sean Crocker (-6) and Washington’s Corey Pereira (-7).

Sulman Raza finished tied for fifth, after rebounding from a six-over 77 in the second round. Raza shot a two-under 69 on Tuesday, and was a big part of  Oregon’s move from third to first in the final round.

The Ducks have a quick turnaround, as they travel to Valentine, Neb. to play in The Jackrabbit tournament, beginning on Saturday.

Follow Will Denner on Twitter @Will_Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner

Will Denner is a senior journalism major at the University of Oregon. He covers football and men's golf for the Emerald. Email Will at [email protected] with tips, questions and comments.