AcademicsAdministrationNews

Finance and facilities committee unanimously approves renovations, Mariota Complex

The University of Oregon Finance and Facilities Committee met on Thursday morning before the Board of Trustees meeting. Members of the committee discussed several topics, and voted on some of the university’s biggest upcoming projects. Here is an outline of what was talked about:

• The meeting started with some public comments. Some students from ASUO and the Multicultural Center voiced their opposition to the proposed guaranteed tuition program, which would promise a set level of tuition for a student’s four years at the university. If passed, tuition may have to be raised up to 10 percent to replace incremental increases every year. After much discussion, the committee emphasized that the idea was just a proposition to be considered.
  • All upcoming construction projects were unanimously approved by the committee. This includes the renovations to Chapman and Klamath Halls the new College and Careers Center, renovations to Hayward Field and the new Marcus Mariota Sports Performance Center. Committee members got to see a closer look at the Mariota Center’s floor plan and proposed facilities.
  • The committee unanimously approved the budget for the 2016 fiscal year.
  • The process for tuition setting was adjusted to allow student input earlier in the process.
  • The committee heard proposals for the implementation of a guaranteed tuition program. After a lot of big questions and few answers,

Follow Noah McGraw on Twitter: @mcnoahmcgraw

Noah McGraw

Noah McGraw

Noah is the 2016-17 Senior News Editor at the Emerald. His earliest journalistic influences were Tom Wolfe, Eric Schlosser and Batman. He loves '70s comics, '80s action movies and '90s music.