DuckSeasonFootballSports

Duck Season: Previewing the quarterbacks

**Editor’s Note: This story first appeared in the Emerald’s Duck Season magazine, a preview of the Oregon football team’s upcoming season that is currently available for free at all Duck Store locations in Eugene. We will post each story in the days leading up to the first day of fall practice on Aug. 10.

Since announcing his decision to transfer to Oregon in early February after three prolific seasons at Eastern Washington, an FCS school, dual-threat quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. has been considered the favorite by many to succeed Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota.

“Big Play V.A.” turned heads when he threw for 475 yards and seven touchdowns in a 59-52 loss to Washington in 2014. The AP First Team All-American in the FCS will face his stiffest competition from a player who’s thrown just 41 passes in his career as Mariota’s back-up — Jeff Lockie.

Lockie has appeared almost exclusively in garbage time of blowout games, but has built team chemistry for two seasons, and took first-team reps during 2015 spring practices while Adams completed his final courses at EWU.

Also in the mix are Taylor Alie, who’s primarily served as Oregon’s PAT holder, dynamic 2014 redshirt Ty Griffin, and top recruits Morgan Mahalak and Travis Jonsen.

Follow Kenny Jacoby on Twitter @kennyjacoby

Kenny Jacoby

Kenny Jacoby

Kenny is the senior sports editor for the Emerald. He spent two years studying computer and information science before changing his major to journalism. He also freelances for the Register-Guard, interns for the Eugene Weekly and works as a research assistant for UO journalism professor Seth Lewis.