NewsTechnology

UO is hosting a public forum for Cascadia earthquake tonight, 7-9 p.m.

Professors from the University of Oregon’s Department of Geological Sciences are using recent discussion of a possible — and overdue — 9.0-magnitude earthquake hitting the Pacific Northwest as a teachable moment through a public forum tonight.

Where and what time will this forum take place?

The forum will be at 156 Straub Hall (1451 Onyx St.), right next to the Erb Memorial Union on the UO campus. It’s from 7-9 p.m., but organizers are expecting a large turnout, so get there early if you want a seat in front. There’s also an overflow room at 145 Straub Hall with a feed set up.

What will it cover?

The event is designed to inform the public about possible scenarios for a monster quake in Oregon. There will be three short presentations and a panel of UO professors, one Oregon State University professor and local partners working on earthquake response/preparedness.

Does it cost any money?

Nope. It’s free. Also, parking is free on campus after 6 p.m.

I can’t make it.

Follow @dahliabazzaz and @dailyemerald on Twitter for live updates, and check our site for a recap after the event. A live video feed of the forum is also available for streaming on the UO Channel.

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia is the 2015-2016 Editor in Chief of the Emerald. Before becoming EIC, she worked as a crime reporter and columnist. She has also interned with Oregon Public Broadcasting.

When she's not in the Emerald newsroom, she enjoys listening to podcasts and figuring out ways to meet Amy Poehler.

You can contact Dahlia via email: [email protected]