Fraternity & Sorority LifeNews

UO Sorority President in hospital after accident at Smith Rock

An accident at Smith Rock on Sunday left a University of Oregon sorority president in the hospital with serious but not life threatening injuries.

Alysia Kezerian, president of UO’s Pi Beta Phi sorority, and Jennifer Kirst were hiking Misery Ridge Trail on Sunday. Kezerian, 21, stepped off the path and began climbing a section of steep rock. She lost her hold and fell off the rock, sliding 20 to 30 feet before stopping in a soft patch of scree.

Kirst called 911 at 1:15 p.m.

A Deschutes County Search and Rescue worker secured Kezerian with a makeshift harness to prevent further sliding before more help arrived. More rescuers arrived and Kezerian was lifted back to the trail, then taken to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, Oregon.

Deschutes County Search and Rescue said in a press release that Kezerian and Kirst did not have climbing equipment with them.

Several UO fraternities and sororities have shared hopeful thoughts for Kezerian and Pi Beta Phi through Twitter. Kezerian’s Facebook page has been flooded with support from friends and family since the accident.

Noah McGraw

Noah McGraw

Noah is the 2016-17 Senior News Editor at the Emerald. His earliest journalistic influences were Tom Wolfe, Eric Schlosser and Batman. He loves '70s comics, '80s action movies and '90s music.