CityNews

What we know about the Civic Stadium fire so far (live updates)

One of Eugene’s longest-standing historic landmarks went down in flames on Monday.

A fire at Civic Stadium, long the home of the Eugene Emeralds, was first reported to Eugene Police at 5:25 p.m. At 5:26 p.m., Eugene Springfield Fire officials were combating the blaze.

Just before the fire started, South Eugene High School’s summer baseball team had been playing when coach Danny Sales noticed a fire growing in the press box. He immediately called 9-1-1. As he spoke, the fire spread until he told the dispatcher, “You guys need to get down here.”

Forty personnel battled the blaze, according to EPD spokesperson Melinda McLaughlin. The fire was contained by 7:02 p.m., although northbound traffic on Willamette Street was still restricted.

The next morning, the stadium was declared a total loss by Fire Chief Randy Groves. Willamette Street was fully open by 11 a.m.

On Wednesday, EPD arson investigators received a tip that led them to four young boys, aged 10 through 12. They are being charged with the fire, although their names have not been released because of their juvenile status.

A press conference will begin at Eugene Police Department headquarters on 300 Country Club Road at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday. The Emerald’s Joseph Hoyt will be at the presser with live updates:

Eder Campuzano

Eder Campuzano

Eder is the Emerald's director of audience engagement. His work has appeared in The Oregonian, The Statesman Journal and the News-Register in McMinnville. He was also a founding member of the University of Oregon's competitive Pokémon league.