News

Timeline of Civic Stadium fire

5:25 p.m.: The Eugene Police Department received a call at about a fire at Civic Stadium, according to EPD officer Aron Lindsay.

5:26 p.m.: 38 emergency personnel responded to the two-alarm fire, observing flames that were over twice the height of the stadium, police spokesperson John Hankemeier said. Police set up a perimeter on 18th Avenue and Amazon Parkway and asked people within a two-block radius of the stadium to evacuate.

6:58 p.m.: Eugene Fire Chief Randall Groves said there were no injuries as a result of the fire..

7:02 p.m.: The fire was deemed under control, police spokesperson Melinda McLaughlin said.

9:06 p.m.:  McLaughlin announced that the evacuation order had been lifted, though traffic around the stadium will remain blocked possibly through the night.

Fire officials are asking residents near the stadium to look out for possible embers from the fire that have landed near their homes, McLaughlin said. They are also seeking information from the public that could help with the investigation.

McLaughlin said there will be no further information until tomorrow morning.

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia is the 2015-2016 Editor in Chief of the Emerald. Before becoming EIC, she worked as a crime reporter and columnist. She has also interned with Oregon Public Broadcasting.

When she's not in the Emerald newsroom, she enjoys listening to podcasts and figuring out ways to meet Amy Poehler.

You can contact Dahlia via email: [email protected]