#TBT to 7 of the silliest, weirdest ads featured in the Emerald from 1950
Some of these are touching and encouraging, and some of them are incredibly racist. Some are from public service projects from the advertising council encouraging readers to be responsible citizens, and others encourage readers to try Camel cigarettes for a smoother drag.
Here are seven of the best:
1. This ad predates the A-Team by like, a lot:
3. This discourse on how to be a good citizen:
4. This uncomfortable Emerald classifieds ad:
5. And then this ad, which encourages people to spend time with and “not spread rumors about” any race or religion.
6. This gorgeously dramatic tootsie roll ad.
7. This disturbing call for a model that we’re not sure is serious.
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.