Arts & CultureFood

The tastiest dishes to seek out on Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo is a great excuse to celebrate good company and great food. Who doesn’t love some Mexican grub?

This Tuesday, you may be feeling a little festive yourself, and with the combination of sunshine and the end of midterms, everyone deserves a day off. Whether you’re hosting a party or going out for margaritas, here’s a guide to satisfy all your Mexican food cravings.

CELEBRATE AT HOME:

Fiesta Chicken Quesadillas: These quesadillas are loaded with chicken, veggies and cheese, and require the least effort of all the recipes on this list. It’s rated nearly five stars from fan reviews on bettycrocker.com, and they also offer coupons to grocery stores that will save on ingredients. What’s not to love about that?

Level: Easy
Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2

Enchilada Casser-Ole!: Everything you love about an enchilada, but in a casserole. And with cheaper ingredients that may already be in your kitchen, this recipe is college kid-friendly. The website even offers coupons! How do you say “sign me up” in Spanish?

Level: Medium
Time: 55 minutes
Servings: 8

Baked Steak Burritos: These “south-of-the-border” burritos are baked for a hot, crispy, cheesy fiesta in your mouth. Ingredients can be found at your local supermarket for a decent price, depending on the steak. As if burritos couldn’t get any better.

Level: Easy
Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6

Mexican Buffalo Chicken Dip: Betty Crocker got creative with this shareable appetizer. Though it takes longer to bake, it’s easy to assemble and calls for fewer ingredients, which is totally worth it. Tip: Save time and money by purchasing a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from your local deli, costing under $8.

Level: Easy
Time: 65 minutes
Servings: 20

Chicken Tostadas

Food Network chef, Marcela Valladolid, takes the traditional tostada and twists it into individual tapas, perfect for sharing with roommates. Tip: Marcela Valladolid sells her tortilla brand at your neighborhood Safeway and are spectacular for this dish.

Level: Easy
Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4

CELEBRATE SOMEWHERE ELSE:

Not feeling like blowing up your kitchen? Head to one of these Eugene Mexican restaurants instead:

TacovoreThis trendy taco shop is becoming increasingly popular among university students. Its unique atmosphere, margarita flavors (marionberry mint, anyone?) and fresh ingredients make this restaurant an ideal spot for Cinco de Mayo. Pick and choose 2-3 different tacos on their a la carte menu that serve a tasteful spin on the classic Mexican street tacos.

530 Blair Blvd.
Price range: $11-30
Open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Super TacoCheck this taco shop out for well-priced burritos, tacos, nachos, quesadillas, tortas and even dinner plates. Not a place where you can find a margarita, but sodas and fresh horchata are well in store and all menu items run at a great deal.

3666 W. 11th Ave.
Price: $7 or less
Open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

ChapalaYour classic, sit-down Mexican restaurant serves up all your favorites and a full bar for 21+. Price range is a little more, but if you visit their website before, you can print a 20% coupon. Try their guava margarita for a blended, refreshing treat. Happy hour daily from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

136 Oakway Center and 68 W. 29th
Price: $10-14
Open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Belly TaqueriaThey’re known for their tacos, but also serve quesadillas, enchiladas and tostadas. They offer an extensive cocktail, beer and wine menu, as well as homemade lemonade and limeade, sodas and iced tea.

454 Willamette St and 30 E. Broadway
Price: $1.50-$12
Open 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

El Super BurritoEugene’s favorite fast-food burrito stop offers all kinds of Mexican food favorites, including burritos, tacos, quesadillas and even carne asada fries. No alcohol served, but a selection of sodas and horchata are available.

2566 Willamette St.
Price: Under $10
Open 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Audrey Bittner

Audrey Bittner

Audrey writes for the Film/TV section of the Arts + Culture desk. You may have seen her writing previously published on Quack'd. On the side, she is the current editor in chief for The Odyssey- University of Oregon. She also thinks that there is no wrong time for breakfast burritos.