25 DucksSpecial Sections

25 Ducks: Caitlin Corona

Age: 21

Hometown: Sacramento, California and Hanford, California

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology

Dream job: Academic research

Why are you attending UO?

My father and grandmother both attended the University of Oregon, so I’m a third generation Duck. It’s very much a part of my family’s identity.

How/why do you want to change the world?

I want to make the world a safer and more inclusive space for survivors of sexual violence. In addition, I wish to normalize conversations around rape culture and sexual violence, and I want to educate others on the harmful stereotypes and myths surrounding this issue. I’d also like to empower children who are underrepresented minorities to pursue careers in the sciences, as the support system and encouragement that I was given as a kid to pursue science as a career really got me to where I am today.

What has been the best part of your college experience?

I’ve enjoyed getting to work with such amazing people on both a personal and academic level during my time here. I’ve made friendships that will last me a lifetime.

What are you proud to have been involved with at UO?

I’ve been happy to be able to work with amazing activists in organizations such as the UO Organization Against Sexual Assault, the ASUO Women’s Center, the Holden Center, among others. The people I’ve met through these organizations have helped me become the activist I am today.

What are some of your goals after college?

I hope to pursue a Ph.D in a neuroscience-related field, travel around the world, and continue to advocate for survivors of all identities.

Who is your biggest role model/influencer?

My nephew, Trey, is the reason I continuously strive to be the best person I can be. I want to become a role model that he can look up to as he grows up, and to be someone he can turn to for advice if he ever needs it.

Kira Hoffelmeyer

Kira Hoffelmeyer

Kira is the engagement editor for The Emerald and will be interning with Eugene's NPR affiliate KLCC during summer 2016. She has produced and worked for KSL NewsRadio, the Emerald, KVAL and the Springfield Times. She tweets for @DailyEmerald, @ODEsports, @UOCraftCenter and @kirahoffy.