25 DucksSpecial Sections

25 Ducks: Beth Maiman

Age: 21

Hometown: Agoura Hills, California

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism

Dream Job: Producing or writing stories that are of human interest that also involve sports.

Why did you choose U of O?

Growing up I always went to games with my dad and sometimes I would go to an event with him and then go home and write a story on it, when I was like eight… I knew I wanted to do sports journalism and I thought here I could get access to covering Division I sports.

How/Why do you want to change the world?

I think women’s issues today are mainly that it’s not taboo for them to go to college and be really educated but it is, if you look at the numbers, taboo for them to be in high, powerful positions or have a lot of money. I think that’s really relevant for women in sports media.

What’s the best part of your college experience?

I interned at CNN last term in Atlanta … It really just gave me such an insight into what it’s like to be a professional journalist.

What are you proud to have been part of at U of O?

Obviously AWSM … I’m really proud of being a part of that.

Goals after college?

Making stories that matter to people.

Who’s your biggest role model/influencer?

Helene Elliot. She’s a sports writer for the Los Angeles Times.

Kira Hoffelmeyer

Kira Hoffelmeyer

Kira is the engagement editor for The Emerald and will be interning with Eugene's NPR affiliate KLCC during summer 2016. She has produced and worked for KSL NewsRadio, the Emerald, KVAL and the Springfield Times. She tweets for @DailyEmerald, @ODEsports, @UOCraftCenter and @kirahoffy.