Acrobatics & TumblingSports

Oregon acrobatics and tumbling earns No. 3 seed and will face Alderson Broaddus

The Oregon acrobatics and tumbling team earned the No. 3 seed at the 2015 National Collegiate Acrobatic and Tumbling Association (NCATA) national championships and will face No. 6 seed Alderson Broaddus in the first round. The association announced the seedings Wednesday afternoon.

The meet is scheduled to take place from April 23-25 at Fairmont State in Fairmont, West Virginia.

In its first season without former head coach Felecia Mulkey, Oregon finished 5-3. The Ducks, under first year head coach Chelsea Shaw, are looking to win their fifth straight NCATA national championship.

Mulkey’s new team, Baylor (9-0), finished undefeated in the regular season and earned the No. 1 seed in the tournament. The Ducks lost in both meets against Baylor this season.

Hawaii Pacific was named the No. 2 seed in the tournament after finishing the year 5-1. Hawaii Pacific closed out its regular season with a home win over Oregon, 282.050-280.295. Oregon and Hawaii Pacific could meet in a rematch in the second round if both teams defeat their opening round opponents.

Here are the opening round matchups:

No. 4 Azusa Pacific vs. No. 5 Quinnipiac – 12 p.m.

No. 1 Baylor vs. No. 8 King – 2:45 p.m.

No. 3 Oregon vs. No. 6 Alderson Broaddus – 5:30 p.m.

No. 2 Hawaii Pacific vs. No. 7 Fairmont State – 8:15 p.m.

Follow Joseph Hoyt on Twitter @JoeJHoyt

Joseph Hoyt

Joseph Hoyt

Joseph is in his third year as a sports reporter at the Emerald. If you have any questions for the reporter, email Joseph at [email protected]