Women’s Tennis: Oregon falls in close match to No. 24 ASU, 4-2
The Oregon women’s tennis match against ASU came down to the wire this Friday afternoon when Marlou Kluiving and Lina Åkesson played in close singles matches with Oregon trailing 3-2.
Åkesson ultimately lost her match 7-6, 6-1, 3-6, while Kluiving’s was abandoned by ASU, 6-7, 6-4, 3-4.
The match was an improvement over Oregon’s past two matches against Cal and Stanford, both of which they lost 6-1.
Oregon fell to 8-10 and 2-6 Pac-12 play.
The Sun Devils were the first to earn a point when Oregon’s doubles team of Lina Åkesson and Paloma Gomez lost, 8-3. Oregon rebutted with a point of its own in the first match of singles play. Nia Rose won her match after her opponent, No. 27 ranked Desirae Krawczykwas, had to end the game early because of an injury.
Later in singles play, Alyssa Tobita scored another point for the Ducks, while No. 123 ranked senior Nicole Long lost, leaving the Ducks to trail 3-2.
After Åkesson lost her singles match, the Ducks were behind two points. Kluving’s opponent was forced to abandon when the match took longer than anticipated, which resulted in no point given to either team and a final score of 4-2.
Oregon will play its next match at home this Sunday at 9:30 a.m. against Arizona.
- #90 Nia Rose (ORE) def. #27 Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) 3-2 (Inj.)
- Alyssa Tobita (ORE) def. Stephanie Vlad (ASU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-0
- Kassidy Jump (ASU) def. #123 Nicole Long (ORE) 7-6 (4), 6-4, 6-7 (4)
- Marlou Kluiving (ORE) vs. Joanna Smith (ASU) 6-7, 4-6, 4-3 (abandoned)
- Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Lina Akesson (ORE) 6-7, 6-1, 6-3
- Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. Sofia Hager (ORE) 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 1 (Inj.), 6, 3, 2, 5, 4 (DNF)
- Rose/Tobita (ORE) vs. #29 Krawczyk/Vlad (ASU) 6-5 (Unf.)
- #52 Smith/Jump (ASU) def. Kluiving/Long (ORE) 8-4
- Osborne/Panoho (ASU) def. Akesson/Gomez (ORE) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1 (Unf.)
Follow Madison Layton on twitter @MadisonLayton01
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.