Oregon falls to No.3 Cal in women’s tennis, 6-1.
The Ducks may have lost their match in Berkeley today, but freshman Nia Rose showed that she can play with the best by scoring Oregon’s only point of the match.
Rose beat the No. 22 ranked singles player Klara Fabikova from Cal to score Oregon’s only point of Saturday’s match, 6-4, 7-6 (4).
This wasn’t Rose’s first upset of high ranked players, though. In late March, she beat the No. 11 ranked singles player from USC, and in doubles play last month, she and Alyssa Tobia defeated the No. 31 ranked players from Utah.
But wins against ranked players hasn’t been enough for the Ducks. Oregon’s record fell to 8-9, 2-5 Pac-12 after losing four of its past five matches.
The Golden Bears took the lead early in the match with a win in doubles play against Lina Akesson and Sofia Hager. Cal put another point on the board after a close doubles match against Nicole Long and Marlou Kluiving.
Close singles matches from Tobita and Nicole Long resulted in loses for Oregon and left the score 5-0.
Rose’s win came the end of the singles matches to give Oregon its only point, and send the Ducks home from their two-game road trip to the Bay Area.
Next weekend, the Ducks will return home to face teams from Arizona. Oregon will play Arizona State Friday at 1:30 p.m. and face Arizona the following Sunday at 9:30 a.m.
- Nia Rose (ORE) def. No. 22 Klara Fabikova (CAL) 6-4, 7-6(4)
- No. 43 Denise Starr (CAL) def. Alyssa Tobita (ORE) 6-4, 6-4
- No. 33 Zsofi Susanyi (CAL) def. Nicole Long (ORE) 6-4, 6-4
- No. 61 Karla Popovic (CAL) def. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) 6-2, 6-4
- Cecilia Estlander (CAL) def. Lina Åkesson (ORE) 7-5, 6-3
- Lyann Hoang (CAL) def. Paloma Gomez (ORE) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4, 2, 1, 5
- No. 11 Fabikova/Susanyi (CAL) def. Rose/Tobita (ORE) 8-3
- Chi/Starr (CAL) tied Kluiving/Long (ORE) 4-4 Unfinished
- Hoang/Popovic (CAL) def. Åkesson/Hager (ORE) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.