Women’s Tennis: Ducks defeated by No. 10 Stanford, 6-1
The Oregon women’s team fell to Stanford this Friday at Palo Alto in their first of two away matches in the Bay Area.
After the loss, Oregon’s record dropped to 8-8, 2-4 Pac-12, while the Cardinal advanced its record, 12-4, 5-2 Pac-12.
Stanford began its lead early in the match after the doubles team of Nia Rose and Alyssa Tobita abandoned their game against the No.2 ranked doubles team from Stanford.
In singles play, Stanford advanced the score to 5-0 with wins over Oregon’s Lina Akesson, Nicole Long and Tobita.
A loss from Rose, who scored Oregon’s only point against USC last month, to No. 4 ranked Carol Zhao, added to the deficit.
The Duck’s only point of the match came late in singles play when Senior Sofia Hager defeated Stanford’s Lindsey Kostas, 2-6, 7-5, 1-0.
Hager, who usually only plays doubles, played in her first singles match since October at the WSU Invitational where she won her match, 6-3, 6-2.
The Ducks will play again tomorrow against No. 3 Cal in Berkley at 12 p.m.
1) No. 4 Carol Zhao (STAN) def. Nia Rose (ORE) 6-0, 6-2
2) No. 16 Taylor Davidson (STAN) def. Alyssa Tobita (ORE) 6-1, 7-6 (2)
3) No. 27 Caroline Doyle (STAN) def. Nicole Long (ORE) 7-6 (2), 6-1
4) Krista Hardebeck (STAN) def. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
5) No. 91 Ellen Tsay (STAN) def. Lina Akesson (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
6) Sofia Hager (ORE) def. Lindsey Kostas (STAN) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (4)
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 3, 2, 6
1) No. 2 Davidson/Zhao (STAN) vs. Rose/Tobita (ORE) abandoned
2) No. 14 Doyle/Tsay (STAN) def. Kluiving/Long (ORE) 8-1
3) Hardebeck/Paulette Wolak (STAN) def. Akesson/Gomez (ORE) 8-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.