Women’s tennis defeated by defending champ UCLA, 5-2
In the second of two weekend home matches against the L.A. schools, the Oregon women’s tennis team was unable to come up with a win against the defending national champion UCLA squad, falling 5-2.
But it was not a day without victories for the Ducks.
“To play against two of the top teams in the nation and to compete and battle the way we did, proves to ourselves we’re moving in the right direction,” Oregon head coach Alison Silverio said.
Oregon duo Marlou Kluiving and Nicole Long solidly beat the No. 1 doubles duo in the country, Catherine Harrison and Kyle McPhillips, 8-5.
UCLA would take control to earn the doubles point following wins at the No.1 and No.3 doubles positions.
In singles play, the Ducks trailed the Bruins 3-1 after Oregon’s Nia Rose fell to UCLA’s Robin Anderson 6-1, 6-1, and Rose Tobita won at No. 2 after Jennifer Brady retired for the Bruins.
Kluiving and Harrison battled out the afternoon at No.4 singles, at one point reaching a 9-9 score in the tiebreaker. UCLA ended up taking the point after Kluiving lost 6-2, 7-6 (12).
The day wrapped up after UCLA put up the final point after a 10-point tiebreaker between Oregon’s Lina Akesson and UCLA’s Kristin Wiley that ended in the Bruins favor, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0.
“Our next step is to continually believe in ourselves and what we’re doing and the process because we are right there…we are right there,” Silverio said. “We’re going to continue to work hard and come out consistently, intense and have that determination to keep building from a phenomenal weekend.”
Up next for the Ducks is a trip to play the Bay Area schools, starting with Stanford on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
- #1 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Nia Rose (ORE) 6-1, 6-1
- Alyssa Tobita (ORE) def. #46 Jennifer Brady (UCLA) 6-2, 3-2 (Ret.)
- Nicole Long (ORE) def. #13 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
- #53 Catherine Harrison (UCLA) def. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) 6-2, 7-6 (12)
- Kristin Wiley (UCLA) def. Lina Åkesson (ORE) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (13-11)
- Terri Fleming (UCLA) def. Paloma Gomez (ORE) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5
- #23 Anderson/Brady (UCLA) def. Rose Tobita (ORE) 8-4
- Kluiving/Long (ORE) def. #1 Harrison/McPhillips (UCLA) 8-5
- Van Nguyen/Wiley (UCLA) def. Akesson/Hager (ORE) 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
Follow Sarah Scrivens on Twitter @sarahescrivens
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.