Oregon returns to Pac-12 play with 5-2 loss to Utah
The Oregon women’s tennis team started a weekend on the road with a 5-2 loss to Utah in Salt Lake City.
Utah (5-10, 1-4 Pac-12) won the doubles point thanks to victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
Oregon’s Sofia Hager returned to the court for the Ducks with Lina Akesson, but Utah’s Luisa Gerstner da Rosa and Elena Najera-Salas finished the pair, 8-1.
Nia Rose and Alyssa Tobita picked up their 21st win as a duo on the season and tied the day at 1-1 in doubles play with an 8-2 win over the No. 31 ranked doubles pair of Tereza Bekerova and Margo Pletcher. Utah locked in the doubles win after Sarah Richter and Jena Cheng bested Oregon’s Marlou Kluiving and Nicole Long, 8-3.
The Utes clinched the singles point with four straight wins over the Ducks. Tobita gave Oregon (7-5, 1-1 Pac-12) its first point of the game after Richter was retired from the match with Tobita leading 4-6, 6-4, 2-0. Tobita’s win today marked her third consecutive singles victory.
Kluiving got another singles point in favor of the Ducks with a 5-7, 6-3, 10-2 victory over Pletcher. With her win on Friday, Kluiving was able to extend her win streak to 12-straight matches and remain undefeated in dual action. The win also gave the sophomore her 20th win of the season; Kluiving is now 20-2 on the year in singles.
Oregon will head to Boulder, Colorado for a match up against No. 52 Colorado on Sunday at 9 a.m.
1. No. 53 Tereza Bekerova (UT) def. Nia Rose (ORE) – 6-2, 6-2
2. Alyssa Tobita (ORE) def. Sarah Richter (UT) 4-6, 6-4, 2-0 (ret)
3. Jena Cheng (UT) def. Nicole Long (ORE) – 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
4. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) def. Margo Pletcher (UT) – 5-7, 6-3, 10-2
5. Luisa Gerstner da Rosa (UT) def. – Lina Akesson (ORE) – 7-5, 6-2
6. Alexia Petrovic (UT) def. Sofia Hager (ORE) – 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 5, 3, 2 (Ret.), 4
1. Rose/Tobita (ORE) def. No. 31 Bekerova/Pletcher (UT) 8-2
2. Richter/Cheng (UT) def. Long/Kluiving (ORE) – 8-3
3. Rosa/Najera (UT) def. Åkesson/Hager (ORE) – 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Follow Sarah Scrivens on Twitter @sarahescrivens
Do you appreciate independent student journalism? Emerald Media Group is a non-profit organization. Please consider a donation to support our mission.