SportsWomen's Tennis

Women’s tennis: No. 67 Oregon falls to No. 52 BYU, 4-3.

Following yesterday’s 5-2 win over Utah State, Oregon (7-4, 1-0 Pac-12) took on BYU (7-6, 1-2 WCC) and ultimately lost 4-3 in a meet that came down to the final match. It was Oregon’s second game in the Beehive State this weekend.

BYU was quick to claim the doubles point after back-to-back wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles position.

After BYU acquired their second point after Erica Valimaki defeated Paloma Gomez in No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-1, Oregon was looking to put themselves on the board. Nicole Long managed to do so when she closed out Savannah Ware 7-5, 6-3 in the No. 3 spot. Then Marlou Kluiving and Alyssa Tobita both won their matches against BYU’s Toby Miclat and Nicolette Tran. Kluiving’s win meant that she was still undefeated in dual play.

Oregon lead the meet 3-2 and needed only one more victory to win the meet. It came down to No. 5 and No. 1 singles. No. 5 singles was the first to complete out of the two. BYU’s Morgan Anderson edged out Lina Akesson 7-5, 2-6, 6-1 in a third set. The clinching match came down to Nia Rose’s and Meghan Sheehan-Dizon No. 1 match. BYU managed to take the final point after winning 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 in a third set.

Oregon will face Utah next Friday in Salt Lake City.

Follow Anne Yilmaz on Twitter @anneyilmaz

Anne Yilmaz

Anne Yilmaz

Anne is a senior sports reporter for the Emerald. Her beats are ACHA hockey, NCAA women's tennis and club sports.
You can reach her on Twitter @anneyilmaz.