News

UO professor’s departure may be linked with student claim of inappropriate touching

In November 2014, a University of Oregon freshman said she was inappropriately touched by a former UO College of Education professor, while at an event in Portland, according to The Register Guard. 

The student did not press charges against 55-year-old Donald Michael Pavel — who left the UO in January after being a fully tenured professor for over five years.

Pavel and the student attended the annual gala for the Native American Youth and Family Center separately. According to the police report, Pavel asked the student to step out into the hallway where the inappropriate touching took place.

After the student reported the incident to the UOPD, the UO took measures to make sure that Pavel was forbidden access to students while an investigation was conducted.

UO administration and the UOPD could not be reached immediately for comment.

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia is the 2015-2016 Editor in Chief of the Emerald. Before becoming EIC, she worked as a crime reporter and columnist. She has also interned with Oregon Public Broadcasting.

When she's not in the Emerald newsroom, she enjoys listening to podcasts and figuring out ways to meet Amy Poehler.

You can contact Dahlia via email: [email protected]