Acrobatics & TumblingSports

Oregon acrobatics and tumbling stays undefeated with road win over Quinnipiac

The Oregon acrobatics and tumbling team had its lowest score of the season on Sunday, but a strong second-half performance against Quinnipiac sealed the team’s third-straight victory. The Ducks won in Hamden, Connecticut by a final score of 274.315 – 264.065.

“Although the first half didn’t go as well as we had hoped, I was proud of our athletes for recovering and finishing the second half strong,” Oregon coach Chelsea Shaw told GoDucks.com.

In the compulsory event, Oregon used a 9.65 score in the pyramid heat to take a  37.60 – 37.10 lead. Oregon edged out Quinnipiac in the acro event by less than a full point.

Quinnipiac scored higher than Oregon in the third event to head into halftime trailing  95.10 – 94.24.

In the second half Oregon returned to form, winning all three events, including a 95.99 score in the team routine. Last Saturday against Concordia University-Wisconsin, Oregon scored 93.74 in the team routine.

The road trip to Connecticut was Oregon’s last East Coast visit of the regular season. The next time the Ducks head to the East Coast will be for the NCATA national championship meet in Fairmont, West Virginia.

In 11 days, Oregon will welcome former head coach Felecia Mulkey and the Baylor Bears to Matthew Knight Arena. Baylor, the only other team besides Oregon to receive a first-place vote in the preseason coaches’ poll, is undefeated at 3-0, as well.

“We will hit the ground running on Tuesday at practice to clean up and fine tune some things in preparation for our next meet,” Shaw said.

Follow Joseph Hoyt on Twitter @JoeJHoyt

Joseph Hoyt

Joseph Hoyt

Joseph is in his third year as a sports reporter at the Emerald. If you have any questions for the reporter, email Joseph at [email protected]