Arts & CultureFashionFilm & TV

The 10 best-dressed celebrities who graced the 2015 Oscars red carpet

On Feb. 22, the 87th annual Academy Awards, better known as the Oscars, were televised in more than 200 countries, honoring the film industry’s achievements over the past year. Rain decided to hit the red carpet that night too, causing umbrellas to be in full force.

You might ask yourself what goes into all of these red carpet looks. How much do celebrities actually spend on an awards show? According to Emmy Award-winning stylist and author David Zyla, “The (celebrity’s) makeup and hair stylist will each receive $1,500 to $4,000 for their contributions.” As we all know, during the awards season, nothing can be overlooked in the final product of walking down the red carpet.

Red carpet events are awesome for brand recognition, and in most cases, the exposure from the event increases the sales of the designers worn by the celebrities attending the event after the fact.

So, where do the dresses go after the Oscars are done?

If it’s couture, “most of the time designers want the dresses back,”  stylist Rachel Zoe told USA Today. “It’s different every year. Some go back to designers because they like to archive them.”

“If an Oscar dress is made for a client, they can, of course, keep it,” stylist Leslie Fremar said in the same article. “It is usually cleaned and packaged and kept in a very safe place.”

In typical award season fashion, I found it only appropriate to make my very own best-dressed list of the evening.

My best-dressed nominees in no order go to:

1. Behati Prinsloo wearing Armani Privé: The Victoria’s Secret model has done it once again. Shades of red were a common theme of the evening, and Behati looks beautiful. I loved the texture and slight peplum of this gown paired with the beautiful dark neutral jewelry.

2. Naomi Watts wearing Armani Privé: This dress was said to be a steal by her stylist, as it never hit the runway. I loved the unique neck line paired with the beautiful shifts and beading.

3. Marion Cotillard wearing Dior Couture: This dress was a risk and Marion wore it flawlessly. The front was classy and chic, and the back surprised us all with the couture black insert changing the overall shape of the dress.

4. Rosamund Pike wearing Givenchy: For just having a baby, Rosamund looks unreal! The complimentary red shoe looks gorgeous and sophisticated — I am obsessed with this look.

5. Sienna Miller wearing Oscar de la Renta: She opted for a black dress as a step away from the pastels. Her hair and makeup were ‘wow’-worthy, pairing perfectly with the beautiful look.

6. Dakota Johnson wearing Saint Laurent: Dakota hit the red carpet with the best fashion accessory, her mother, Melanie Griffith. The bright lip and hair pulled back made her red dress pop even more.

7. Julianne Moore wearing custom Chanel: This gown was truly a piece of art, full of pearls and embellishments. I really appreciated that she kept her jewelry simple to not take away from the Chanel masterpiece.

8. Chrissy Teigen wearing Zuhair Murad: Zuhair was a popular choice of the evening, but this dress was definitely my favorite. I loved the beaded long sleeves and the high tasteful slit. Chrissy has definitely proven she is one to look out for on the red carpet.

9. Reese Witherspoon wearing Tom Ford: The classic black and white was modern, yet edgy. She may not have won an Oscar, but she won in my book for her elegant look.

10. Margot Robbie wearing Saint Laurent: This was without a doubt my favorite look of the night — the matte red lip with no eye makeup worked in harmony with her dress. And the statement necklace was my favorite of the night.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fashion choices of the night and had a very small worst-dressed list. It was a tame night in the fashion world, and I think the late Joan Rivers would have approved of her rangers.

Follow Hailey Geller on Twitter @hgeller30.

Hailey Geller

Hailey Geller

Hailey is currently a fashion writer for the Emerald's Arts & Culture desk. She was previously the health and safety reporter for the Emerald's News desk.