Acrobatics & TumblingNewsSports

“Show heaven that they truly lucked out”: Vigil held for Lauren Jones

They came quietly with stories to tell.

The people closest to Lauren Jones gathered outside Fenton Hall Sunday evening to remember the student-athlete whose upbeat personality and quirky dance moves brightened days for people around her.

The 50 or 60 students gathered made a ring of neon yellow jerseys–Jones, No. 51 on the back–around Lauren Jones’ picture.

Jones passed away on Feb. 17 from meningococcemia. Students shared a myriad of clips of Jones’ life; memories, condolences, photos and videos. Many of these were condensed in a slideshow set to audio memories by Jones’ friends and teammates. The videos and photos of Jones messing around with friends often brought laughter from the students.

The last words on the slideshow were “Show heaven that they truly lucked out.”

Jones’ coach, Chelsea Shaw, expressed her gratitude to the students gathered.

“There’s no way our team could have gotten through the last few days without you,” Shaw said. “[Jones] has changed our lives forever.”

Members of the acrobatics and tumbling team and her friends from Barnhart Hall spent time telling stories, laughing and reflecting about the ways Jones touched her life.

“We knew how positive she was,” Shaw said of the stories. “It was more reaffirming of how many things daily she did to remind people what kind of person she was that we didn’t get to see on a daily basis. It was really encouraging and inspiring and warming to our hearts to hear how many more lives she touched besides our team.”

Jones’ roommate Izzy Fasheh called Jones “a light that shouldn’t have burned out so soon.”

“She had all these ideas in her head of what she wanted to do, and it saddens me that she doesn’t get to do them,” Fasheh said.

At the end, everyone extinguished their candles and formed “Lo,” Jones’ nickname, on the ground.

Scott Greenstone

Scott Greenstone

Rehabilitated ex-homeschooler, former Emerald Senior News Editor, editor-in-chief of The Broadside at Central Oregon Community College, and freelance blogger for Barnes and Noble.

Now I write campus politics. Easy conversation starters include Adventure Time, Terry Pratchett novels and Arcade Fire.