Acrobatics & TumblingNewsSports

Oregon acrobatics and tumbling athlete Lauren Jones passes away

Lauren Jones, a member of the Oregon Acrobatics and Tumbling team, has died.

The Oregon athletic department confirmed that Jones died unexpectedly Tuesday after requiring medical attention. Jones was 18.

Julie Brown, a spokeswoman for the University of Oregon, confirmed that a bacterial infection is a “possibility.”

“This is a terrible and sudden loss for our whole Oregon community, as well our acrobatics and tumbling team family,” Acrobatics and Tumbling Head Coach Chelsea Shaw said in a press release. “Lauren was such a positive and bright spirit every day, and her smile was contagious. She will be greatly missed and our prayers and deepest condolences go out to her whole family, friends, previous teammates and anyone else who had the opportunity to know Lauren.”

Oregon Athletic Director Rob Mullens released a statement on Jones.

“All of us in the UO family are deeply saddened by Lauren’s sudden passing and extend our sympathies to her family and friends,” Athletic Director Rob Mullens said in a press release. “As we honor Lauren’s spirit, we are providing comfort and support to her coaches, teammates and fellow student-athletes as they go through the grieving process.”

Jones was a freshman from Southwest DeKalb High School in Lithonia, Georgia. She was a base for the acrobatics and tumbling team.

Oregon athletes have been posting about Jones’ death for the past two hours.

The story is developing. More to come.

Joseph Hoyt contributed reporting. 

Justin Wise

Justin Wise

Justin Wise is the senior sports editor at the Emerald. He also works as the Oregon campus correspondent for SI Campus Rush. He can be reached at [email protected]