Acrobatics & TumblingNewsSports

Oregon athletic community responds to death of Lauren Jones

Freshman acrobatics and tumbling base Lauren Jones passed away Tuesday. Here is how the Oregon athletic community and acrobatics and tumbling community responded:

“Lauren was such a positive and bright spirit every day, and her smile was contagious. She will be greatly missed and our prayers and deepest condolences go out to her whole family, friends, previous teammates and anyone else who had the opportunity to know Lauren.”

-Acrobatics and tumbling head coach Chelsea Shaw

“I know some of my athletes are very close to that team. I don’t know how close to home it hit. When I heard about it, what that would be like going through it on our team or my family, I just couldn’t imagine going through something like that. My heart does go out to her family.”

-Oregon baseball head coach George Horton

“Once you’re here at Oregon, you’re family. Not all of my players knew Lauren directly, but we lost one of our own. For it to be a young student athlete just starting her career here is really tragic, but I think it definitely will hit home with our players. We’ll definitely be thinking of her the rest of the year as we compete.”

-Oregon women’s golf head coach Ria Scott

Andrew Bantly

Andrew Bantly

Andrew is a sports reporter contributing to Oregon football and baseball. The Bay Area-native hit his first (and only) official home run at age 12. You may have recently seen him on pink crutches.