Fraternity & Sorority LifeNews

Fraternity and Sorority Life and Senate work to make a better resolution

Following an almost four-hour long senate meeting Wednesday, Feb. 11, leaders in Fraternity and Sorority Life realized the need to be more present in working with the resolution presented by Andrew Lubash to the Senate.

Lubash is a student senate member and a key player in motivating people. He wants to suspend the expansion of FSL for a year after a survey conduced by Jennifer Freyd showed that sorority women are 3.4 times more likely to become victims of sexual assault. Lubash created a resolution stating the needs for suspending FSL, in hopes the senate will pass it and make the university take action faster.

After many opinions presented by various UO students, staff and faculty were presented regarding the resolution. FSL leaders saw a great need for being more involved in the wording of the resolution. Lubash encouraged everyone who wanted to be involved to attend meetings to set a resolution.

Today, Lubash hosted his first FSL sexual assault working group with various FSL and senate members to create a resolution that all feel comfortable with.

Lubash asked IFC and PHC presidents what their ideal world would look like in terms of sexual assault prevention as it relates to FSL. Both members agreed that support to implement working programs to combat sexual violence would be ideal.

PHC president, Rebecca Brennan, said that continued assessment of programs increased learnining and accountability. Together, these will be factors that help with prevention efforts.

IFC president Max Lehman agrees and wants more knowledge on how to be better leaders for sexual assault prevention.

“What I would like to see is more support in the programming field,” Lehman said. “My ideal world is trying to get that support from trained professionals who know how to do successful programming and know how to implement it.”

Lehman also stressed the need for experiential learning in their community to better teach members how to combat sexual violence.

Lubash and leaders in FSL both want different outcomes when it comes to the final voting of the resolution — Lubash wants it to pass and FSL leaders do not. During the working group, this was not addressed. The meeting was to ensure involvement of all effected by the resolution.

After about an hour long discussion about change needed for the resolution, seven new points were added.

Points included: FSL sexual assault prevention task force review IFC and PHC policies to identify any possible changes that could improve sexual assualt prevention efforts, increased funding for sexual assault prevention efforts, controlled campus climate survey specific to FSL members, experiential programming, explore the idea of differed IFC and PHC recruitment, and to hold the administration more accountable in handling issues of sexual violence.

Although all added issues have the opportunity to stay on the resolution, senate has the ability to strike sections if they feel the need to.

“Senate can just strike things they don’t like,” Lubash said. “If it doesn’t have a majority (voted by senate) to be killed, it will just stay. When we’re done, senate will just vote on the whole thing.”

Leaders in FSL want to be more involved in this issue in order to best tackle it. Being present for the wording of the resolution is just one of many efforts that leaders in the community will show their dedication to preventing sexual assault in FSL.

Lauren Garetto

Lauren Garetto