Cross CountrySportsTrack & Field

Edward Cheserek named national scholar-athlete of the year

A two-time NCAA cross country champion, Edward Cheserek added to his awards collection Wednesday. The sophomore was named the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches’ Association Division I Men’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year. 

Cheserek, a business administration major who maintains a 3.30 Grade Point Average, is the second Duck to achieve the honor since Galen Rupp won the same award in 2007 and 2008.

Five student-athletes joined Cheserek in earning national academic honors. Tanguy Pepiot, who holds a 3.85 GPA as a general social science major, was named to the men’s all-academic team.

Elsewhere, Alli Cash (3.91 – human physiology), Annie Leblanc (3.68 – human physiology), Megan Patrignelli (3.60 human physiology) and Molly Grabill (3.48 – sociology) were named to the women’s all-academic team.

The total of six Ducks earning academic honors is a school record, beating out the previous high of five in 2007.

Follow Justin Wise on Twitter @JustinFWise 

Justin Wise

Justin Wise

Justin Wise is the senior sports editor at the Emerald. He also works as the Oregon campus correspondent for SI Campus Rush. He can be reached at [email protected]