AdministrationNews

UO president addresses leaked documents at university senate meeting

Interim President Scott Coltrane and Adriene Lim, the dean of libraries, spoke about the release of 22,000 leaked documents to University of Oregon professor Bill Harbaugh.

Coltrane said that the documents released did not go through the UO’s usual procedures and that the matter is still under investigation.

The documents spanned four years, Coltrane said, and include various items such as thank you notes and hand written documents.

The president said that the documents have been returned but refused to name the recipient. That’s when Bill Harbaugh, an economics professor and author of the UO Matters blog, piped up and claimed that he was the person in question.

Harbaugh did not say why he returned the documents.

He also said that the issue wasn’t how the documents were released, but that they were missing some key components. Emails were included in the files, but attachments were missing.

The Q&A portion of the meeting ended with Harbaugh stating that communication between university administrators and the school’s legal counsel should be public records.

“Will you wave your attorney document privileges so this one professor can sleep at night?” Harbaugh said to Coltrane during the meeting.

The UO president answered with a “yes” to light applause.

While one of the documents Harbaugh wished to see will be made public, the fate of other legal memos is unknown.

Eric Schucht

Eric Schucht

Eric is a videographer for The Emerald. A journalism major at the University of Oregon, Eric spends his free time failing at parallel parking and searching for the lost television remote.