CityCrime

Post-loss fires and drug violations spike in otherwise tame week: campus crime wrap-up, week 2

During week two, the University of Oregon’s football team lost the national championship game–but what we lost at the AT&T stadium, we gained in drug violations: exactly 22 incidents of illegal drug activity were recorded this week on the UO Police Department’s campus crime log.

Most of the incidents occurred in Walton Complex, followed by Bean and the Jaqua Center.

Reaction to the game loss was relatively tame, save for the hijinks of a few pyromaniacs. The UOPD and Eugene Police responded to four different fires on Jan. 12. UOPD mostly assisted EPD with off-campus flames, though one of the incidents involved some grass and a sock being lit on fire outside of the northern Living Learning Center building.

Other than natty-related catharsis and dorm room mischief, it was business as usual crime-wise this week. Two bikes were reported stolen along with three thefts.

And if you’re still sad about the game, it could be worse. Back in Ohio, 89 fires were reported and the celebration riots got so unruly that police had to pepper spray the crowd. One person even went to the hospital for it.

Follow Dahlia Bazzaz on Twitter: @dahliabazzaz

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia Bazzaz

Dahlia is the 2015-2016 Editor in Chief of the Emerald. Before becoming EIC, she worked as a crime reporter and columnist. She has also interned with Oregon Public Broadcasting.

When she's not in the Emerald newsroom, she enjoys listening to podcasts and figuring out ways to meet Amy Poehler.

You can contact Dahlia via email: [email protected]