FootballSports

Mariota, Freeman receive Pac-12 Player of the Year awards

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota was named Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Year, and his teammate running back Royce Freeman was named Freshman Offensive Player of the Year, the conference announced today.

Mariota has so far thrown for 3,470 yards and 36 touchdowns while committing just two interceptions. He leads the Pac-12 and the nation with a 190.2 passing efficiency rating during the regular season. The Davey O’Brien Award and Maxwell Award finalist powered the Ducks to a seven-game win streak to end the season. 

Mariota was selected as the Pac-12’s Offensive Player of the Week twice this season. He won the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year award two seasons ago.

In addition, Freeman rushed for 1,185 yards so far this season and has accounted for 17 touchdowns (one passing). Freeman anchored a Ducks offense that ranked first in the Pac-12 in rushing (232.o ypg), total offense (539.5 ypg) and scoring (45.9 ppg). His effort this season extended the Ducks’ streak of having a 1,000-yard rusher to eight consecutive seasons.

Other award winners include:

Scooby Wright III, LB, Arizona: Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year

Adoree’ Jackson, CB, USC: Freshman Defensive Player of the Year 

Rich Rodriguez, Arizona: Coach of the Year

The 2014 Pac-12 Football All-Conference team will be announced tonight at 8 p.m. PT on the conferences’ Pac-12 Networks Football Weekly show. 

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan was an associate sports editor during the 2016-17 school year and worked at the Emerald from 2013-17. He covered women's basketball and football.