AdministrationNews

Kitzhaber’s office nominates Helena Schlegel to UO Board of Trustees

University of Oregon’s governing board should start making a new name tag. According to Board of Trustees secretary Angela Wilhelms the Governor’s Office nominated a UO student to the board.

“We just learned that the Governor’s Office has nominated Helena Schlegel to the UO Board of Trustees,” Board chair Chuck Lillis said.

“We’re very pleased that he has made the nomination, and we look forward to the senate’s confirmation. I am reaching out to Helena today and we’ll start the process of getting her oriented and integrated onto the board.”

In the past Schlegel served as an ASUO senator and as a Ducks Like You campaign manager in last year’s ASUO election. Schlegel would replace ASUO Beatriz Gutierrez – who is currently on the Board of Trustees.

Gutierrez filled the student seat since former ASUO president Sam Dotters-Katz graduated from law school last spring.

“I was honored to hear about my nomination to serve on the Board of Trustees,” Schlegel said. “If confirmed, I look forward to representing the diverse student body here at the University of Oregon.”

According to Wilhelms the Oregon Senate will confirm Schlegel on the morning of Wednesday, December 10.

Schlegel will not be an official trustee until she is confirmed by the senate but will be able to participate in board activities in the meantime.

Follow Alexandra Wallachy on Twitter @wall2wallachy

Alexandra Wallachy

Alexandra Wallachy

Alex is a head correspondent at the Emerald focusing on higher education and student government. She is also a producer for the Emerald Podcast Network and a huge fan of the Daily Show.