Cross CountrySports

Oregon cross country earns men’s title in Boston behind Cheserek and Jenkins

Oregon cross country captured the team title Friday at the Battle of Beantown in Boston, finishing with just 24 points.

The Ducks were led by defending NCAA champion Edward Cheserek as the sophomore won his fifth-straight cross country race in a row, going back to last season. 

Senior Eric Jenkins and Cheserek crossed the finish line in a virtual dead heat at 24:20 in the 8,000 meter course. Cheserek was able to narrowly beat out Jenkins to push his winning streak to five. 

“Today’s race keeps us on pace with what we want to accomplish this season,” Oregon associate head coach Andy Powell said. “The guys ran well as a group, and it was a really good day for Edward (Cheserek) and Eric Jenkins. Not only did we have those two together up front, but I was just as excited to have five guys finish in the top 10 in a really competitive field.”

Jenkins, a New England native, finished second overall and was one of five Ducks to finish in the top 10 overall. Of the other teams competing, the Ducks easily took the victory with 24 points, handily beating No. 8 Syracuse with 52 points, followed by No. 16 Providence (79), Georgetown (103) and Dartmouth (142).

In addition to Cheserek and Jenkins at the top of the podium, Oregon senior Daniel Winn finished fifth overall with a time of 24:33. The finish is the consecutive top-five finish for the Portland, Ore. native. Freshman Sam Prakel finished just behind his senior teammate in sixth with a final of 24:36. Junior Matthew Melancon rounded out the Ducks’ scoring with a 10th-place finish in 24:42.

Next up on the schedule for Oregon includes races for the women at the Washington Invitational on Oct. 4 in Seattle, Wash. For the men, next up is the Charles Bowles Invitational on Oct. 4 in Salem, Ore.

Follow Jonathan Hawthorne on Twitter @Jon_Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan Hawthorne

Jonathan was an associate sports editor during the 2016-17 school year and worked at the Emerald from 2013-17. He covered women's basketball and football.