Cross CountrySports

Led by Cheserek, Oregon men’s cross country starts season with win at Bill Dellinger Invitational

After a decorated freshman campaign, Edward Cheserek began his sophomore season by paving the way for the Oregon men to win the ninth annual Bill Dellinger Invitational in Eugene, Oregon Friday. Cheserek would win the 8,000 meter race in a time of 24:24, followed by his teammate Matthew Melancon, who would finish second in 24:26. In total, the Ducks had eight of the top 11 finishers.

On the women’s side, No. 3 Oregon would score 68 points and come in third place. Lindsay Crevoiserat’s and Maggie Schmaedick finished seventh and 13th, respectively, in the 6,000 meter. 

The women’s third place finish did come without a hand full of athletes who have been crucial to the group’s success however. Megan Patrignelli, the team’s top performer last year, along with Annie Leblanc, Mia Elbon, Sarah Baxter and Frida Berge  were all held out from the race.

Oregon’s next event for both the men and women will be at the Battle in Beantown Sept. 26 in Boston, Mass.

Follow Justin Wise on Twitter @JWISE25

Justin Wise

Justin Wise

Justin Wise is the senior sports editor at the Emerald. He also works as the Oregon campus correspondent for SI Campus Rush. He can be reached at [email protected]